Friday, March 15, 2019

Best and Worst Movies of 2018

I saw 85 movies in 2018. That’s five less than in 2017, but 12 more than in 2016.

Of the 85 movies I saw, 71 were released in 2018; the rest were older films.

I awarded 13 movies a perfect “10” (as opposed to only five in 2017—that’s a pretty significant upswing!).

As with previous years, I know I missed some outstanding movies in 2018, and I’ll need to catch up on some of them (see “Sorry I Missed You,” below).

The best movie I saw in 2018 was Isle of Dogs. I saw it twice in the theater. I loved this movie very much.

The rest of my “perfect 10” movies were Adrift, Incredibles 2, Leave No Trace, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Eighth Grade, Mission Impossible: Fallout, Juliet Naked, Searching, A Simple Favor, The House With a Clock in Its Walls, Bad Times at the El Royale, What They Had.

Rounding out my Top 20 movies of the year, I must include A Quiet Place, Jurassic World, The Mule, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, The Miracle Season and The Favorite.

Other movies I really liked in 2018: Mary Poppins Returns, Love Simon, Game Night, On Chesil Beach, A Star Is Born, Crazy Rich Asians, Wildlife, Beautiful Boy, Bohemian Rhapsody and Fahrenheit 11/9.

WORST MOVIE I SAW IN 2018: BlacKKKlansman.

VASTLY OVERRATED MOVIES OF 2018: Black Panther, Phantom Thread, Ready Player One, The Endless, Hereditary, The Party, First Man.

BEST OLDER MOVIES I SAW IN 2016: The Greatest Showman, Entertaining Mr. Sloane.

SORRY I MISSED YOU:

Shoplifters (Have since seen)
The Miracle Season (Have since seen)
Every Day
Red Sparrow
The Meg
Flower
In the Fade
Ismael’s Ghosts
Keep the Change
A Private War
You Were Never Really Here
The Rider
Love After Love
The Tale
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
Bumblebee
Claire’s Camera
Colette
Custody
Dark River
The Escape
Mary and the Witch’s Flower
A Mother's Worst Fear
Night Comes On

No comments: