Sunday, March 01, 2009

2/21/09: Taken (2009)

GRAB BAG
There have been numerous movies and TV shows through the years involving the abduction of children. When I saw the trailer for Taken, I was reminded of some of the famous ones, like Mel Gibson's Ransom, which featured the immortal line, "Give me back my son!" Coincidentally, Taken is also the title of thriller I read last year (the first in a series of Chris Jordan novels that all deal with child snatchings). I like revenge stories, so I had a hunch I'd like this movie, starring the Irish actor Liam Neeson as a former U.S. operative whose 17-year-old daughter Kim (fomer Lostie Maggie Grace, 24 at the time of filming) is seized during a visit to Paris. The Albanian abductors picked the wrong guy's daughter to steal: Neeson is a superb tracker, and in short order he's walking off a plane and gathering clues. Once the bad guys show up, Taken becomes a relentlessly suspenseful and action-packed yarn that keeps you permanently on the edge of your seat. Neeson fits the role (if not the American accent) very well, although some—like my movie companion, Joan—will wonder if Daddy causes a bit too much harm to innocent people who get in the way while he pursues his daughter. But that's a minor quibble; just sit back and cheer as Neeson dispatches the Mafia creeps, one by one. Rating: 5/5.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As someone who works in a Legal department, I was also left wondering about what would surely be a complicated legal aftermath. That is, after causing that much death and destruction (even if the victims were extremely bad guys), there is no way that Daddy would have been allowed to simply leave Paris with his daughter and live happily ever after. There would have been investigations, at the very least. Hopefully, the police who were turning their heads in exchange for payoffs would have been held accountable. I may be the only movie-goer alive who actually wanted to see this aftermath play out. (But, I suppose that would be another movie.)

Also, remember the heart-warming payoff at the end (having to do with his daughter's aspiration)? I was anticipating that from about a third of the way into the movie.

But, most importantly, thanks for being my movie partner and for letting me steal some of your popcorn! Oh, and thanks for buying me my bottle of water! (I realized later that I just let you buy it and didn't even offer to pay.) Thanks! - Joan