Sunday, March 22, 2009

3/16/09: The Awful Truth (1937)

CONNIE'S PICKS
Amazingly enough, I haven't seen many movies that can legitimately be labeled screwball comedies. Moreover, I haven't seen nearly as many Cary Grant films as some of my friends have. The only one I distinctly remember having seen is Arsenic and Old Lace, which had Grant doing a lot of physical comedy and double-takes. The Awful Truth is a similarly farcical affair, about a married couple (Grant and Irene Dunne) who file for divorce, then try to thwart each others' subsequent romances when they realize they're still in love with each other. The movie is lighter than air, but contains a heaping of hilarious lines delivered by Dunne and an extremely funny wire-haired fox terrier that all but steals the movie from its human stars. If all screwball comedies are as entertaining as this one, I should probably revisit the genre. Rating: 4/5.

No comments: