Thursday, April 23, 2009

4/23/09: Witness in the Dark (1959)

I've never seen another film by Wolf Rilla, the director of my very favorite movie of all time, Village of the Damned. Recently I learned that Rilla directed this one a year before Damned, so I was eager to check it out. It's a mystery rather than a sci-fi flick, but I'd hoped it would contain the same kind of icy suspense. Patricia Dainton plays a blind woman whose neighbor is murdered; the killer passes her on the way out, but of course she can't see him. Still, the cops hope that maybe she's the key to solving this crime. The movie is passably entertaining, although some of the more dated aspects are rather cringeworthy. The most interesting thing for me was comparing and contrasting the directorial touches with Village of the Damned. Rating: 3/5.

No comments: